Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

EVE University is where I hang my boots

G'day all,

So after waiting in the queue for roughly 17hours in total, I got my interview!

Let me elaborate for the new player.

EVE University  is probably the biggest and most well known in-game Corporations for new players there is. In all of my research, I never read a bad word about E-Uni. I read a lot too. I wanted to make sure I got off to the right start with EVE because I want the game to be enjoyable. There are many horror stories of people (n00bs and experienced players alike) getting scammed and people quitting after a few days and I didn't want to be one of those people. This is not because those people are stupid, it's because they were naive. (ok, ok, or stupid :P)

So, to combat this, the best thing to do is join the biggest and the best n00b loving corp known to man!
After you decide to apply to E-Uni there is a system in place to make this a dream come true. However, don't expect to just whisper a recruitment officer and and be "in like Flynn.." Oh no, you have to queue farm!

Personally, I found the whole waiting in the queue a bit ridiculous... initially. I've been in all kinds of guilds, clans, teams etc in many other different games. The longest I have had to wait was a week but that was ok because I was told "at the end of the week". Waiting in the E-Uni queue gives you a false sense of progress. You have your number in the queue displayed and that's it. Now, like anyone, I would expect this number to go down, and stay down. The most disheartening thing is to watch your #10 go down to a #8, then a #7, then back up to a #12 as more people log into the queue who have racked up more hours than your good self.

The queue works by selecting the person who has spent the most time waiting. So if you have been waiting for 10 hours, and you're position #1/20, then 5 people log in with with MORE than 10 hours, you will be pushed back to #6 until they have all been interviewed. Make no mistake fellow EVE n00bs, this is a very frustrating process. I'm not a very patient man but in the end, if you want to be a part of the best learning corporation there is, you have to pull some patience out of your arse.


Now that I am a member of E-Uni, I can understand why the interview process is so long a drawn out. My recruitment officer was a nice bloke. They do their homework on you and know about you before they start. The interview lasts for between 30 - 45 mins. In my case a bit longer because I had trouble with forum sign-ups >.< The RO was patient and nice to me though. There was no sign of arrogance and we even shared some jokes. Overall it was a good experience. Something I WANT to have when trying to get into a tough game. There's plenty of time for being an arsehole later on, IF that's what you want.

There is a plethora of information once inside E-Uni. It's more overwhelming than the game itself. The forums are just information overload, but, there's the typical "are you new? read this" forum posts. That's where I am starting from and I'll work my way around by following the n00b signs. ;)


My advice: Apply to E-Uni, exercise some patience, expect to spend about 15hours in the queue (3hours a night for me) and be nice. So far, it;s been worth the wait.

Cheers!
-Sile

No comments:

Post a Comment